This is Lyn Paolo, the woman who dresses Olivia Pope on Scandal.
1. The jacket Olivia wore when her world went dark.
2. The gown that showed Olivia’s strength.
Episode: Season 3, Episode 5, “More Cattle, Less Bull”
Designer: Rubin Singer
Why it was chosen: “She went to this event with Jake, and it needed to be a much stronger gown than before,” Paolo explained of the “architectural” dress. “The Rubin Singer was all about [being] strong… she knew she was going to see Fitz.”
Fun Fact: The Singer gown almost never happened, but Paolo was walking through a Neiman Marcus store and happened to see it on a mannequin. She snapped it up, and it was the first and only gown Washington tried on out of the 50-plus gowns sent to their wardrobe closet.
3. The first use of Alexander McQueen.
4. The coat Kerry Washington hated.
5. The flowing vintage gown that almost didn’t happen.
6. Olivia’s iconic white trench
7. The Ralph Lauren trench
8. The coat that fans ask about the most
9. The look that brought back gloves.
10. Olivia’s ’80s style hat
11. The origin of the original Prada purse
12. Pope’s very first Prada was the same style Meryl Streep used in The Devil Wears Prada
Episode: Season 3, Episode 2, “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner”
Why it was chosen: “That was the first Prada purse in Olivia Pope’s life. She changed; they grabbed her purse and she starts the next day with the Prada.”
Fun Fact: “She was carrying a Ralph Lauren purse when she was mugged in the train station,” Paolo says of the episode prior to this one. “So the next time you see her going to see her dad, she’s actually carrying the purse that Meryl Streep used in The Devil Wears Prada in that opening sequence. Prada took it out of their archives in Italy and sent it to us, so it was current for seven years ago.”